cheap book shops

If you have any general craft questions please ask here. If a subject comes up frequently we will add it as a new forum.

Moderators: charlie, admin

Cassie

cheap book shops

Post by Cassie »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this.

I have seen in Works book shop some really cheap crafting items such as pompoms, pipe cleaners etc and been tempted on a few occations but never did. The thing is - I know they are cheap and will probably fall to bits or not be as good quality but then the kids will be fed up within a few mins anyway so why bother buying quality.

I was tempted by a scrapbooking kit which i had seen on here but it was half the price in Works. I succumed and brought the cheap one from Works - now i am begining to wish i haddnt. It only had about 10 paper pages instead of the 20 card ones and there is less foam shapes and the gems are really cheap looking. No doubt the kids won't notice but i do feel a little cheated.

what does everyone else think - is cheap and throwaway better than quality when it comes to kids crafts (I would always buy quality for my own crafts or for presents - ohhh that sounds really selfish now :oops: )
Liz

Post by Liz »

Good question....I guess it also depends upon how much value the kids put on their new craft stuff. Where I work, things get wrecked by most of the kids, so cheap is better. My 9yr old neice, however, treasure anything you buy her so I don't mind spending more, her 5 yr old sister is similar but the 5yr old brother (yep twins) he's forgotten about it and lost interest before he's opened it, so cheap for him!!

Liz
Janet

Post by Janet »

Hi

I agree with Liz on this. Kids vary a lot in how they treat things and how much they seem to value things like craft kits. I hate to say it but girls are usually more careful.
However my own 2 boys have both been careful with things over the years and would definitely appreciate better quality. It all depends on the kids.

Janet
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Well I have 3 and its cheap stuff for them as They use all the stuff in 5 minutes and then don't even want to keep what they make....

I have sat taking off pompoms and feathers off pictures so they can reuse them......

But I never say never and I have brought them merino fleece to practice spinning with....

Zoe
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

I know its a while since i started this thread but just thought i would sum up.

The scrapbook kit was for my neice and i decided not to give it to her as she does like nice things and is more likely to keep it. I actually gave it to a charity shop and brought her something else. I feel really foolish now and will think a bit more carefully about how the child is with things before i sucume to cheap items. Some good advise ladies - thanks. :lol:

Saying that my cousins little girl would just have used all the stickers for putting all over her room and probably have scribbled in all the pages so perhaps i should have saved it for her for xmas. thinking ahead was never my strong point :roll: